Thursday, April 15, 2010

Postcards With Tales

I received this today from my friend Vicky in Athens Greece. Vicky knows I love Pelicans, so this is sure a favorite for me. I especially loved the whole story on the back of the postcard about Petros..

Petros was a White Pelican, who was the official mascot of the Greek island of Mykonos.
In 1958 a wounded pelican was found off the coast of Paranga shore by a local fisherman. The pelican was nursed to health and remained on the island supported by locals. It soon adopted the name “Petros”, as a joke between the locals, as "petro" in Greek means rock, stone but metaphorically hard and horny. To great disappointment by locals and tourists alike, Petros was hit by a car on 2 December 1985 and failed to recover.[1][2]
Subsequently, three new pelicans reside around the main town of Mykonos. One, honorifically, was given the name Petros. (wikipedia)

No comments:

Post a Comment